Travellers in London face a second day of disruption because of a continuing strike by Tube workers in a long-running row over ticket office closures.
Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union will end a 48-hour walkout at 9pm on Wednesday, with a further, three-day stoppage planned for next week.
Half of train services ran yesterday and two-thirds of Tube stations were open, much more than during a previous strike in February.
But there was still huge disruption to travel, long delays for Tubes and big queues for buses.
The RMT said the strike was “solidly” supported, and the union expects similar backing today.
Picket lines will again be mounted outside Tube stations.
Mike Brown, managing director of London Underground, said 15 per cent more staff worked yesterday than during the previous strike.
He appealed for fresh talks, adding: “Under our plans to modernise the Tube, we are committed to a safe railway with visible staff personally serving our passengers.
“Fairness to our staff is guaranteed – there will be no compulsory redundancies, there is a job for all staff wanting to remain with us and no one will lose pay.
“We have made significant changes to our original proposals after listening to our people and the unions in over 40 meetings.
“The RMT leadership know the real motivations behind their action, but it is infuriating that London’s commuters and businesses are the ones who are being forced to pay the price with this unnecessary disruption.”
RMT acting general secretary Mick Cash said: “London Underground have dug themselves into an entrenched position and have refused to move one inch from their stance of closing every ticket office, in breach of the agreement reached previously.”